50,000 men and 15,000 horses.

On the occasion of the centenary of the Rhine crossing in 1913, a museum was set up in the front building of the former "Zur Stadt Mannheim" inn on the initiative of and with exhibits by the glowing flower admirer Werner Teschenmacher from Bad Ems.

"Marshal Vorwärts" lived up to his name in the first week of January 1814: under his command, some 50,000 soldiers, 15,000 horses and 182 guns of the Silesian Army crossed the Rhine from Kaub within only five days and, as their advance progressed, pushed the Napoleonic troops, weakened after the Battle of Leipzig, further and further back. Gebhard Leberecht von Blücher, who entered the history books as Marshal Vorwärts, thus made a significant contribution to the fact that the Kingdom of Prussia was one of the victorious powers at the Congress of Vienna.

Diorama of the Rhine crossing at Kaub 1814Blücher had arrived in Kaub on New Year's Eve 1813 at about four o'clock in the afternoon where he set up his headquarters in the inn "Zur Stadt Mannheim". He resided in the magnificent private rooms of the Kilp family, who owned the inn. Johann Daniel Kilp (councillor of commerce) had the noble baroque palace, consisting of 11 axes, built in 1780 by the court architect Franz Wilhelm Rabaliatti from the Elector Palatinate - he was a pupil of Alessandro Galli di Bibiena. In 1792 it was supplemented by a horseshoe-shaped courtyard complex, which was partly built into the slate rock. There were storehouses, storage rooms and horse stables. The inn "Zur Stadt Mannheim" was mainly used by skippers who waited to be allowed to pass the customs station Kaub. In 1913, on the occasion of the centenary of the Rhine crossing, a museum was set up in the front building of the former inn on the initiative of and with exhibits by the ardent admirer of the Blüchers from Bad Ems. The furnishings of the rooms, including valuable canvas wallpaper, tiled stoves and furniture, have been largely preserved.

The Blüchermuseum is the destination of several thousand visitors every year. The entrance fee goes to the city, because it is the bearer of the museum. In order to repair the broken roofs, the Rhineland-Palatinate State Monument Office and the German Foundation for Monument Conservation (DSD) each provided 75,000 euros in 2006. From 2009 to 2013 the Blüchermuseum was extensively renovated.

Since its foundation on 17 January 1913 100 years ago, the Blücherermuseum could only survive because of the great commitment of people who worked hard to preserve it and collected exhibits worth seeing: from a tobacco tin, a right glove and other personal objects of Blücher, to rings with the inscription "Gold I gave for iron", which Prussian patriots wore with pride during the wars of liberation, to a collection of militaria from that time. And finally, a diorama of tin figures shows how the Silesian army under the command of Marshal Vorwärts crossed the Rhine at Kaub.

Copyright © Blüchermuseum Kaub - Imprint (German) & privacy statement